Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.....

......that spring is just around the corner!
 
OK, the signs might not be everywhere or as many as we'd like; but. if we look closely we can find a few. This is a macro of a viburnum bud on a bush beside my deck. These buds will take awhile to open. It will be worth the wait. In full bloom the bush smells divine.
 
This week's song for  Kathy's Song-ography is Signs by the Five Man Electrical Band. It's an old song from the 1970's and of my youth. It was one of my favorites back in my college days.  Its message is of intolerance and exclusion and the frustration with the authoritative symbols employed by governments, institutions and religion. In short, conform or pay the price.
Obeying traffic laws and respecting other's property is following social norms. It's how a society functions. Most of us do it without thinking. Shouldn't we question the validity of the norms and how it relates to us as individuals? I think we probably should. Heavy stuff and just as relevant today as it was then.

Marching to my own drum today and using one line of lyrics clearly out of context with the song to share my sign of spring with you. Hope you enjoy!

Linking to I Heart Macro.

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful shot. :)

Linda said...

Lovely!

Red said...

I liked that song. I liked listening to music and have always been a bit of a rebel

Tamar SB said...

This was gorgeous - I am on the look out for spring - but the current look out has snow in the foreceast )-:

EG CameraGirl said...

Neat macro. I very much like the angle you shot the bud from.

Yes, we should question the validity of the norms. Too many of us are "sheep."

Nicki said...

I like 'your' kind of sign. Along those lines - who among us hasn't at one point or another whispered to ourselves "give me a sign" ... they come in different ways and still get the message across.

Yep - Spring is coming. (right after another snow next Monday)

Stephanie said...

Excellent interpretation for this week's song.

Out And About Global said...

Beautiful!

Debbie said...

a lovely "sign" that spring is indeed coming!!

really beautiful image!!

kathyL said...

Lovely macro shot. Thanks for the sign of spring. It's very welcome this year!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Beautiful Macro and sign of spring! The only sign of spring here is a little bit of melting.

Laura said...

I like this sign, very much! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro:-)

Sharon said...

A lovely shot -- and definitely a sign of spring!

Ida said...

What a lovely way to march to the beat of your own drum. I almost did (signs of spring) myself. I love the detail of this bud you captured.

Unknown said...

Beautiful shot!

Kim Cunningham said...

Can't wait to see the bud when open! Wishing you an early spring!

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Great shot. Spring is thankfully on our doorstep. We've had some lovely sunny days here in Chester.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Too elderly to be familiar with the song, but the sentiments sound absolutely good! Spring definitely on the way.

Katrin Klink said...

gorgeous!

Kmcblackburn said...

I LOVE that you marched to your own drummer on this Song-ography! What a splendid interpretation, and photo, it is! Thank you for joining in at Song-ography!

kissed by an angel said...

Such a wonderful picture of this beautiful bud!!! The details are great and your words are wise!
Enjoy a wonderful spring time :)

kayerj said...

hooray for spring!