Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sepia Scenes: The Haunting of Flinderation Station

Flinderation Station is supposed to be a haunted railroad tunnel near Salem, West Virginia. The story goes that three men working in the tunnel didn't realize a train was coming or at least as fast as it was coming. One man could not get into the side cubbyholes fast enough and the train derailed. The Travel Channel has evidently filmed a spot here at some time. After visiting the tunnel and doing some research there is the story but not the facts to back it up. No news articles about the derailment, no names of the deceased. There are a few YouTube videos of supposed paranormal activity. I wasn't impressed with any I viewed. I took three of the above views in sequence from the same spot. I do that to make sure I get a clear shot and one that's in best focus. When I downloaded them I noticed what some would describe as an orb in the middle photo. If you enlarge this maybe you'll see it. It's to the left of the top of the opening in the back.


This is about only about twenty feet inside the one thousand feet tunnel. As you can see there was water. A couple of places I could tell the water would be halfway up my leg if I stepped in it. Without boots and a flashlight this was as far as I ventured.

Like any good viewer of Ghost Hunters I did my duty and announced that I was friendly and asked are you here. There was no reply. :)

Years of mineral laden water running down the walls have left them discolored from the once red brick.

I love the different layers eroded away on this section of wall.

Upon leaving I was sitting on a nearby picnic table. The tunnel is part of the West Virginia Rail Trail across abandoned railroad tracks and a pretty spot to take a break. Again I took three images of the same spot. When I downloaded them the third one had those two bright spots of light. I didn't use a flash. The white you see hanging from the ceiling is actually part of the ceiling that is falling. What were the lights? I couldn't say; but. I'm thinking Jason and Grant from Ghost Hunters could probably explain it all away.

I'd like to go back with a pair of boots and a flashlight and walk the entire distance to the other side. Oh, did I mention that there is a cemetery on top of the tunnel? I WILL only be going in daylight.

Posted for Sepia Scenes.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the sepia pic, as well as your story with it -I agree, go by day!

helena said...

wonderfully atmospheris images

Mimi said...

Hi Carletta,these images and story make for a great post. Isn't it gruesome to think of someone being hit by an oncoming train, which then derails?
I think I'd find the tunnel too creepy to go near, so I'm glad to be able to see your images in the comfort of my own home!
The orb and lights in some of the images certainly are interesting, and scientists would probably explain them away but i wouldn't rule out ghosts either!

Debbie said...

Oh you are brave, my friend. I got the willies reading and looking at the photos!

They are beautiful though :)

Rose said...

I love that first shot!!!!

Rose said...

I will come and you and I will walk through it!

George said...

This is a fascinating post. Not only was the story of this tunnel very interesting (and mysterious), your pictures were wonderful. It would be nice if you could get an explanation for the lights. I hope you're not planning on venturing into that tunnel by yourself.

Anonymous said...

oh wow... love all your photos. great composition. great texture.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Whooo hoooooo -- you are an intrepid photographer and para-normal researcher ;>). Thank you for sharing. I love the sepia tones, they are perfect for this.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a neat old tunnel... I'm like you... I wouldn't venture inside of there!!!! ha ha

I've read quite a bit about the old railroads in West VA... Railroads were HUGE years ago. Wish we still have them...
Hugs,
Betsy

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh, Carlotta. How I wish I was the flashlight in your hand when you return. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see this tunnel AND explore the cemetery.

Say Cheese said...

Nice sepia photo. The trees outside also give it a haunted feeling. :D

SquirrelQueen said...

Even if there was no story the tunnel would still look mysterious and a little creepy. You got some great shots. I would have to explore the whole thing too.

JunieRose2005 said...

Loved your story and pictures! I'd LOVE to explore that place!

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful shots and I'd LOVE to visit that spot! What is it about haunted railroad tunnels? There's one near Niagara Falls too...bit so far I have never been there.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very good photos, especially I like the first one.

Regards!

Stephany said...

Some photos are made for sepia tones and the first one is stunning! I love railroad tunnels, especially the haunted ones. The orb in the second picture is very cool, as are the mineral deposits on the brick. Wonderful series, Carletta!