Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Blessings - Childhood Memories

During our entire lives we carry with us our memories - all the people, places, and events that have made up our existence. Some of the most precious ones are those of our childhood.

I wish I could say this is the church steeple on the church I grew up in. Sadly, the church that gave me sustenance as a child is no longer standing. Lightning struck the bell in the church tower and the church burnt down many years ago. The congregation got together and rebuilt the church that stands here today. On completion because of community involvement it was free of mortgage payments.

I can still imagine the inside of the church and where everything was placed. The altar, the piano, the curtain that was pulled to separate Sunday School classes. I can picture where everyone sat. We all had our own little spot every Sunday. I sat on a pew near the gas stove that heated the church in winter. When my Grandma came to church she sat in a pew that faced mine. As I write this I can see the people and friends and hear their voices. I can see us stand to sing and hear the melody of favorite hymns.

Walking on the grounds I can close my eyes and see the yearly reunion and the picnic tables filled with food. I can picture my little brother hunting Easter eggs. I relive funerals and burials of family members. Most of my grandparents and great-grandparents are buried here as well as a baby sister. I can feel the sun shining brightly on my face as I stood on the front steps of the church as guests hugged me and wished me well on my wedding day.
The church I knew is gone. The loved ones in the sacred grounds beneath these skies are in my heart as well as the childhood memories that still give me sustenance and joy each time I stop and remember.

16 comments:

Raven said...

What a lovely essay and beautiful photos. I especially love the picture of the bell. It sounds like you had a wonderful congregation as well as a wonderful building. My memories of early church days are more vague and less peaceful, I'm afraid. It was nice to bask in your memories for a brief moment here, though, and feel how alive they still are for you. I did enjoy singing in church. That memory still stays with me.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful and precious memories you hold. The church building still stands in your heart, and it's still nurturing you.

Neal said...

Great memories Carletta. That's the reason Rose and I post a lot of TN....we have great memories of that area and our childhood. I think Tom hit upon it when he said he longed to go back in time when things were simpler and so do I.

JunieRose2005 said...

What a beautiful post, Carletta.

Thanks for sharing this.


Hugs)))

Junie

Anonymous said...

Truly precious memories.

Anonymous said...

That is a nice series! Thanks for sharing.

Melli said...

Awwwwww... I knew I was gonna like this post the minute your page opened! They always say, the church is NOT the building... but I agree that the building can certainly hold some sweet memories! Beautiful post!

imac said...

Great memories also love your critters.

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

Hi Carletta. I really enjoyed your post today and want to thank you for checking out my Sky Watch Friday shot. Your is beautiful!

juliana said...

some memories just linger in our mindsand the one you shared is beautiful.
love the bell photo, too.

George Townboy said...

What an awesome post! Beautiful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carletta: Very nicely posted with a great narrative and wonderful photos.

i beati said...

my first social life began in a white clapboard church in Quiet Dell Wva, covered dish suppers, iced skating and beautiful vesper services..

Robert said...

The building may be gone, but the church isn't. If in doubt, reread what you just wrote. It clearly lives on.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh what a beautiful post!

Pappy said...

Great post. The commentary had a poetic quality to it. Very nice combination of photos and commentary. Pappy