Sunday, April 27, 2008

Project Green: Take Seven and....
Camera Critters Sunday


About the Moth
I did some research and found this green beauty is a Luna Moth. It is one of the largest moths found across eastern North America. They are well known for their green-yellow colors and long tails, and although they are often seen in pictures, they are a real surprise when found in nature.
They have wingspans of up to almost five inches; but appear even larger because of long tails on its hindwings. Notice the "eyespots" on the wings which are especially noticeable against the pale green color of the wings. They have large feathery "plumose" antennae that are used by the male to pick up minute traces of pheromones released by the female so he can track her down in complete darkness.
The Luna moth is a wild silk moth. They have declined in numbers since the 1960's due to habitat destruction and increased use of bright vapor lights that disrupt mating.
It is a nocturnal species, and not often seen in the daytime. Their night flying habits and short life span as an adult, only about a week, combine to make them a rare find. The male does not have a mouth and does not eat. He lives for one week for the sole purpose of mating!

About The Picture
I found this moth hanging near the bottom of the outside garage door one morning last week. It was near the base of the door as I was walking by. If you enlarge the photo you can see this one had lost one of its antennae. You can also see by the sunlight that it was way past the time it should have been out flying around. I was sure it would fly before I could get a photo but I zoomed in and got the picture above. After finding it in daylight, researching it and noticing the lost antennae when I enlarged the photo I sadly suspect this little guy was near the end of his one week of life. I'm glad I got to "capture" him though. Since his soul purpose was for mating I think he probably had a fairly nice life considering!!!
I guess too, that for these Luna moths is really isn't easy being green.

For more Project Green participants please visit Anna here.
For more Camera Critters Sunday participants please visit Misty Dawn here.

33 comments:

Katney said...

That is quite a find. It is the sort of thing that we would likely walk right past with it right in fromt of us.

Anonymous said...

that is a wonderful find! so sad about them living for only a week ...
great capture!

Juliana said...

great capture :D

Please check out mine Thanks

Anonymous said...

wow...nice shot!!

Will you visit mine Thanks

kenju said...

I took a pic of one about 5 years ago, hanging on the ivy in my back yard. They are so gorgeous in person!

Indrani said...

A very informative post and wonderful find. Glad you shared this.

Janice Thomson said...

You must have been thrilled to get this capture Carletta. A superb photo indeed! Thanks also for all the info on this gorgeous moth.

Anonymous said...

Rare and timely. Now his life has expanded beyond one week, to the longevity in the blogosphere.

imac said...

Beautiful, love the sun shining thru the wings.well captured.

threesidesofcrazy said...

I've never seen one like him. Thanks for lesson!

Jane Hards Photography said...

That's a huge moth! So hard to capture,fabulous photo, and great info.

i beati said...

beautiful

Lacey Lichi said...

Wow. What a beautiful shot. Extraordinary! I like your bottle tops too!

Rose said...

Carletta, I am not sure I have ever seen a luna moth but I knew what they were. I am envious of you getting to see one in real life. So glad you got this picture to show us.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Great photo

Misty DawnS said...

This is a truly fantastic post! I learned SO much from this post, and I sincerely thank you. Now, I really want to see one of these in person! Awesome post!

judi/Gmj said...

I have never ever never seen one of these! Thanks for doing the research to go along with the photo. Wonderful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carletta: I've never seen one of these moths. I imagine they are out at night and hide during the day. You were really lucky to get such a great picture.

dot said...

Great shot of the moth. It's a beauty!

Rue said...

Beautiful picture Carletta, but I have to tell you that if I saw one of these in person, I would run for my life LOL

rue :)

Dianne said...

she's beautiful. glad you took the time to make her famous before her little life ended.

I combined green and critters too :)

***Fotografia e Luz*** said...

Hello Carletta fine its explanation of the moths like much of your blog

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Goodness..he is so gorgeous! And lives such an exciting week of life!

D... said...

Wow, that IS a great capture!

Mom Knows Everything said...

What a gorgeous moth!

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

what an awesome shot ~ how lucky you were there to capture it.

George Townboy said...

This is an awesome post and an amazing photo! And your research is impeccable, as always!! Thank you!

JunieRose2005 said...

Very beautiful color ! I've never seen one of those.


Junie

Tom said...

This is fantactic.. what a capture it was.. it remindered me of the Great Luna Moth from Dr Dolittle...

Robert said...

What a great "capture" you made. Such sharp detail. I really appreciate the research you did as well as the story behind the picture.

Raven said...

Incredible photo. Nature is so amazing.

Jeanne Damoff said...

I love this shot. What a beautiful creature!

Ashrunner said...

Great shot of a Luna Moth. I'd love to find one around here.