Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Turkeys being themselves...

Thanksgiving at our house has always been the Macy’s Day Parade and an early dinner.
This year that part of Thanksgiving will most likely be the same. It’s who will be sitting around the table that will be different.
When my husband and I retired and moved back to West Virginia this past July our son had already graduated college, married, and is living in a suburb outside DC. Every other year our son and his wife take turns going from one set of parent’s house to the other. This year it’s their turn to travel to Pennsylvania to be with her parents. Our daughter on the other hand is still living in Virginia continuing her education and working for a law firm and is expecting! It is our first grandchild which truly makes Thanksgiving this year extra special. The baby’s due date is just over six weeks away and her Dr. isn’t too keen on travel so our Mommy- to- Be will be staying put. This means we will be traveling the interstates tomorrow to be with her for the holiday. All of this makes it hard for my mom and brother who live here in West Virginia. They were hoping since I had moved back that this Thanksgiving we would all be together. I have promised them that next year I’ll cook and we can have Thanksgiving at my house.
It’s hard being separated at Thanksgiving from those we love; but choices have to be made and sometimes those choices aren’t easy. One thing will be the same this year at the dinner table and that’s the Thanksgiving prayer. As always I will ask that God be with our families and friends both near and far. We can’t be with them all; but He, and his Blessings, can.

On a lighter note: I found this quote the other day by comedian Mitch Hedberg.

“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at the turkeys. There’s turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,…someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself.”

The picture I’ve posted was taken in my backyard. Yes, those suckers are real ~ just turkeys being themselves!

1 comment:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

I hope you have a safe trip and a great time with your daughter.

Happy Thanksgiving.