Monday, May 19, 2008

S is for Steam Engine



This is an old steam engine tractor that sits in an elegant flowerbed at the nearby city park. In North America the term steam tractor usually refers to a type of agricultural tractor powered by a steam engine, used extensively in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Glancing through the Community Section of Sunday's newspaper I discovered there will be at least three antique tractor and engine shows or festivals during the next three weekends in my area.

I remember growing up and going with my Dad to a local Arts and Crafts Fair every July 4th. While there we almost always bought homemade applebutter and maybe ate grilled corn on the cob or funnel cakes. We always knew we could find Dad by the old engines watching the men make them run and having to yell over the noise they made in order to talk. I guess he instilled in me the appreciation I have for the machines and an era long gone.

I guess Kenny Chesney might have it right - maybe us country girls do think tractors are sexy!

Visit Quilly for more Alphabet Photo Challenge participants.

20 comments:

Rose said...

There's nothing quite like a John Deere in my opinion!

KOSTAS said...

Amazing photographs with marvellous colours but also a beautiful old machine!

Anonymous said...

I remember riding on the tractor when I was a kid -- standing behind grandpa's seat and holding on to his shoulders. It was exhilarating.

Steam engines are pretty nice, too ...

Melli said...

That's where my Hubby would be! Ya know... Crafts fair, apple butter, funnel cake, & fireworks... Life just doesn't get much better than that! Sweeeeeet memory!

By the way... I've never thought the machine was sexy -- but I've seen a few riders who might qualify!

Dr.John said...

You get my award for the most original s picture. I love the steam tractor pictures. I saw some of those at the county fair when I was little.

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome photo and a great story about your relationship with your Dad! You are GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

A very nice and gorgeous old steam tractor.
And well preserved also.

Karen Coutu said...

That's so nice that they have that in a park where everyone can enjoy it . . . young and old.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful place for a lovely old machine!!
Pretty choice for S!

Janice Thomson said...

Having been raised on a farm this is a familiar sight. Beautiful photos of these old treasures Caletta.

dot said...

I love the colors of it. It's a beauty for sure!

Tom said...

We have steam engine shows over here as well... I find them of interests.. the smell and the noise of them appeals.
I asked jane if she liked them... guess what she sais?

"I used to love these machines, but now I've become an ex-tractor fan." LOL

Anonymous said...

What an interesting old machine! I had never seen one of these before.

Anonymous said...

Steam engines and flower bed; great juxtaposition, haha! :)

Jientje said...

ABC in pictures is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!
Well you do get very nice pictures!! Thanks!

judi/Gmj said...

Well, you put George Strait on a tractor and then you are talking! :)

Minkydo said...

Great choice.

Robert said...

This is nice. I love the soft coloring here. Very nice image.

juliana said...

this one looks quite magnificent!
love your 's' choice

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carletta: Amazing photos, love the steam engine.