Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A Summer Surprise - A Summer Tanager



I added this little guy to my life list this past Saturday. He is an immature male Summer Tanager. Last Friday morning I could hear a tapping that I thought was the UPS man at my back sliding glass door. On closer inspection I found this guy pecking at his reflection in the adjoining dining room window.


I wasn't able to get a photo until the following day on July 4th. My husband and I were getting ready to go out and he had just asked me if I had seen the bird that morning because he had heard it pecking the glass. Just then he saw it in our sunroom window and I grabbed the camera and was luckily able to get a few photos.

 
He did fly from the window to the bird feeder pole for a quick pose. I haven't seen him since but I'm hoping he is still around. I would love to see him when he grows into his full strawberry color.
 

23 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Oh Eilen he is a beauty. Hope you see him again.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Sorry Carletta, I called you Eileen!!

Rajesh said...

Wow! beautiful bird.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh he's pretty!

Red said...

Good shot! this means there must have been a nest of them near your place.

Hootin Anni said...

Isn't he gorgeous?!!! Congratulations on a lifer.

Rose said...

Oh, what a great capture. Sure is pretty. I do hope he sticks around till you can get more photos.

Anonymous said...

Nice captures. He's really pretty.

TexWisGirl said...

wow!!! AWESOME! congrats!

KristiBowmanDesign said...

What an adorable little baby, love these pictures!

Ida said...

Congrats, What a darling bird.

Adam Jones said...

How wonderful to see one so close up and a lifer too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Carletta, it is an awesome bird. Great captures of him coming to your window. Have a happy day!

Unknown said...

He's a very handsome fellow!

Mersad said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have included your blog in my "Top 10 Wildlife Blogs You Need to Follow" List. The post is on my blog now.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

EG CameraGirl said...

Very cute! I have never seen a Summer Tanager even though I know there are a few seen in my parts. ;)

Anonymous said...

sweet...and very nice of him to let you know he was waiting to get his photo taken!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a beauty he is! I hope he sticks around (and maybe brings some siblings or cousins). I'm always glad to see your beautiful posts.

A Colorful World said...

Isn't he beautiful! What a wonderful encounter!!!

Ela said...

Oh, these are wonderful shots !!

Pietro Brosio said...

Very cute!

kayerj said...

oh what a pretty fellow. Our tanager's are black and yellow with red heads.

A Colorful World said...

What a wonderful visitor, Carletta! Great photos!