Monday, March 30, 2015

Wild Turkeys

This time of year the wild turkeys in the nearby woods start to wander out into the open. I had been keeping a lookout for them and this past Thursday I caught my first glimpse of them. There were four of them. By the time I got my camera they had passed the window. In this shot I was looking out the side of the window. You can see the turkey in the background has changed her direction and is heading back the way she came.
Something had scared them and they were hurriedly trotting back toward the woods. Shooting through the window at fast trotting turkeys is not the ideal photo shoot but I got a couple of shots to say they were here. Hoping Mr. Gobbler is somewhere near and that he and the ladies will be back soon.

Linking to Wild Birds with Stewart

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so cute, stretching out!

Red said...

It's interesting that such large birds roam around in your woods.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great capture - we saw some in Northern Wisconsin a few years ago and they are indeed hard to catch with the camera.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

great that the Turkeys are coing so close to your home now. you probably will get another chance to shot them

Karen Lakis said...

They look like they're on a mission - I love that shot! You will probably get more opportunities soon. Wild turkey are so much fun to watch - and surprisingly fast for such large awkward birds.

George said...

I think you got good pictures of the ladies through the window. I hope we can soon see Mr. Gobbler as well.

eileeninmd said...

It must be neat having the turkeys run across your yard! They are cool wild birds. Have a happy week!

Nicki said...

Impressed you got these captures. Dumb and not especially fast, but still manage to be elusive when it comes to photos.

Adam Jones said...

I'd love to see a wild Turkey.

CountryMum said...

How lucky are you to have such magnificent birds roaming in the wild so close by.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Always love your turkeys. I'm sure Tom is out there safely; he probably sent the ladies to check things out first.

Anonymous said...

Love to see those wild turkeys!

A Colorful World said...

No...you did a wonderful job! What an awesome sighting! I know this is rutting time for them and I hope you see them quite a bit.

Ida said...

Well done. We've been noticing wild turkeys here in town. Coleen and I spotted one in someone's yard on our way home from the library the other day. No camera in hand though.

EG CameraGirl said...

They must feel comfortable enough to be in your yard but it's too bad something scared them. I hope you get some photos of Tom Turkey displaying his tail feathers!

Stewart M said...

Great birds - I saw some dash across the road ones in New England many years ago - by the time we had pulled over they were gone. No pictures!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carletta: Thanks for the visit. What fun to see wild turkeys. You are certainly in a wonderful part of the country.