Thursday, April 3, 2014

Gateway to the Sun

Hubby and I had an appointment in Morgantown, WV this past Monday. As the appointment was late afternoon we were heading home when the sun began to set. I particularly liked the glow behind the bare branches of the trees.

We knew in minutes the sun would sink beneath the horizon before we went much further so I took one last shot while we could see it dropping in the sky.
 
 
On our way up to Morgantown I had seen one of these state markers off to the side of the road. I hadn't noticed it before so had planned to stop on the way back. In just a few minutes I recognized the spot and Hubby pulled off the divided highway onto a two lane road. This is the marker above. We still had a little daylight so Hubby said let's drive a couple of miles up this way. As we pulled away from the sign we noticed the road was unmarked. As we turned the bend in front of us I had to have him pull over.
 

This big old gate the size of well, Texas, was to our right. I had needed a fence or gate for the Good Fences meme this week and immediately knew this was perfect for my first entry and appropriate we were headed to Tollgate. The clover reminds me of my 4-H days many long years ago. Not sure where the road went. The photo has been lightened because it was almost dark up this country road. The light spot on the pole on the left is the Jeep's headlight. We drove a little further and saw what had been an old country store and a bit further a log cabin. We will definitely go back at a later date when we have some light to explore and take photos.

Linking to Good Fences, Skywatch, and Rurality.

23 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Carletta Those sunset shots are spectacular and that is a lovely fence shots as well

Nicki said...

Gorgeous sunset, interesting town name, and AWESOME gate. Who knew Morgantown held so many hidden jewels (actually I did - but my husband (bleed Green) refuses to acknowledge any).

Anonymous said...

The sunset is gorgeous and I love the orange/red light reflecting onto the road. Interesting bit of history about turnpikes and the naming of Tollgate. And what a delightful-looking gate! I'll bet those folks have something to do with 4-H. :-)

Visiting from Good Fences,
~Lindy

TexWisGirl said...

your tree-line opening scene is marvelous! but the gate stole the show for me! LOVE the handcraftedness of it - the D and the clover. really GREAT find!

thanks, carletta!!!

Anonymous said...

Such gorgeous sky shots.

magnoliasntea said...

Beautiful photos! Love the story of how Toll Gate got its name. Have a great day!

Karen said...

An awesome sunset and a unique gate!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Serendipity! It's lovely to go to a place where you know you'll find beauty (and photo ops) but it is even better to stumble upon them unexpectedly. So glad you took that last road.

the sunsets are incredible -- and that's serendipity too -- you have to be there at just the right moment. You definitely were.

Cranberry Morning said...

Love the sunset, and what character that gate has!

Our photos said...

Nice photos ! I like the sunset

Jeanne said...

Now that does look like a great place to go exploring!!

21 Wits said...

I sure would have fun there, and that fence is just awesome.

HansHB said...

Beautiful post for the sky-theme!
My SWF-post at: http://hanshb.wordpress.com/

Red said...

You had an interesting drive and discovery. To discover such things at twilight adds to the mystery.

eileeninmd said...

Carletta, beautiful sunset and sky shots! Love the clover fence! Have a happy weekend!

Linda said...

Gorgeous sunset captures, Carletta!

Brian King said...

The sky is gorgeous! Great color! The gate's no slouch, either!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful, glowing sunset, Carletta! That is a gorgeous gate, too. They must be lucky! xo Karen

kayerj said...

that gate is perfect and so is the sunset!

nookworm said...

Can I go with you on your next trip there? The clover gate is inviting to me. NICE!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Cool fence, and I would be intrigued too!

Ida said...

What a gorgeous sunset and that gate is really cool looking too.

A Colorful World said...

A 4-leaf clover! What fun. And just the perfect thing for the Good Fences meme. Love the sunset!