Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Week Continues: Guess Who Has A Birthday?

Happy Valentine's Day!
Above is my entry for Friday's Fences. It's the split rail fence in my front yard that you've seen before, but today I've decorated it just for you.
Not only is it Valentine's Day but it's my birthday and it's a milestone for me. Today I am a young 60 years old. Young because I don't feel old even though some days my body reminds me I am. I've earned every gray hair and wrinkle I try to cover so I accept the inevitable truth - I am growing old. Last night I read a quote by Sophia Loren - "There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love." That sounds like a plan to me and along with lots of laughter and joy I'll see where this next decade takes me.
I thought it might be fun to have a look back. My Mom has our old photos but I found a couple I thought I'd share. These were taken when I turned eleven years old. There was always a box of candy for me as well as one for each of my two brothers. (No, I didn't get gifts on their birthdays.)
My gifts that year were a new pair of tennis shoes and a doll. I hated wearing any other kind of shoe even in winter.  The doll is Barbie's famous boyfriend, Ken. I still have him. It makes me sad to think that eleven year old girls today are already past playing with dolls. I remember happy times playing with mine.
I can't remember why we had such a huge valentine mailbox. I have a fuzzy memory that I volunteered to make it for my school classroom or maybe for our 4-H group.
Goodness, would you look at that TV! Three channels and you had to get up to change them.
We can IGNORE the cheesy smile - can't we???
I'm guessing that's a piece of birthday cake I'm eating and it would have been homemade by my Mom.  Check out the Valentine taped to the wall. I'm guessing my brother or I one made it at school for Mom.
Then there's my fashion sense- ha! That jumper was made of red corduroy. It was one of my favorite outfits. What do you think of my short hair?  It was much shorter than this. This is the growing out stage of a pixie haircut first popularized in the 60's by Mia Farrow and Twiggy. I loved that haircut.
Hope you enjoyed these flashbacks with me. It was nice visiting with that young girl again.
I'll be around to visit all of you sometime later. Right now Hubby has a dozen roses sitting on the dining room table and he's going to make a chocolate cake with chocolate icing  - my favorite - and there's a bowl of Hershey's chocolate nuggets too.... I think 60 is reason enough to splurge don't you!!!
Hope you have a wonderful day filled with love and CHOCOLATE!!!!
Linking to Friday's Fences.

34 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Great post ! Very enlightening and Happy Valentine's Day ~

Carol of (A Creative Harbor) on blogger

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, that is too cool. your birthday & <3 day too!! that is one two never forget. right??! have a great day!! gosh, i hope you do something extra special for your 60th - too cool!! big big hugs. ( :

love that fence shot. great for FF. take care.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I enjoyed reading your post and going down memory lane with you. Happy Birthday!

Silvia Vilela said...

Hello, I entered here by accident and loved it. Congratulations to you that this new cycle be blessed. My English is not very good, but I wanted to leave a message for you because I like photography'm an admirer ..
I have 2 children 52 years and is a pleasure to be here .. I hope you understand my English.

Red said...

Happy birthday Carletta and a happy Valentine's day. You certainly have fun with a birthday! How are you going to top this when you're seventy? I have a brother whose birthday is today and I've already wished him happy birthday. Nice touch to show pictures when you were young. I think in our heads we all think we are in our youth.

TexWisGirl said...

a very happy 60th to you, carletta! soak in all the love and attention - and enjoy that chocolate cake, too!

don said...

Happy birthday. Thanks for celebrating it with us. I liked the "younger" photos that you posted. 60 sounds like a good age to me. :-) All the best for today and all year.

Kmcblackburn said...

Happy Valentines to you...but even MORE importantly...happy BIRTHDAY! :)

The Artful Diva said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Suburban Girl said...

Happy ♥ ♥ ♥ Birthday. Love the decorated fence and the young photos of you.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Birthday Carletta and what a great day to have 2 celebrations! Fun seeing the vintage photos as well...must have brought back lots of memories for you - thanks for sharing with us. Hope you get some nice treats today too that make you smile!

Dianne said...

Happy Birthday!!
I love your treasured childhood photo, so sweet

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Great way to use the fence!

Fence at Sunset

Jan n Jer said...

How special you are to be born on Valentines day Carletta...sure does make it easier to remember. Sounds like your Hubby has a special celebration planned for you...enjoy n may you celebrate many more to come.

Rose said...

Happy Birthday.....just under the wire. Loved seeing photos of you as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you had a marvellous, chocolate-filled birthday! Love these shots of you!

Liz Needle said...

Happy Birthday Carletta. Hope you have a great day. Thanks for your fun entry. Loved the old photos and that gorgeous Valentine fence.

Leave It To Davis said...

Aww...happy 60th birthday....sorry I didn't make it ON your birthday...couldn't sleep tonight, so I'm not TOO late. I can't believe you're 60. You certainly don't look it in your picture over there on the side! Was that taken 20 years ago? Cuz I thought you were 40! You fooled me!

I loved playing with Barbie and Ken still when I was 11. I got a Thingmaker when I was 11, too...and a Monkeys' album...and I also had my hair cut like Twiggy, and let it grow out...and had a terrible picture when it was growing out with a grey jumper made about like yours! I'll have to hunt that picture up. :) Too bad you didn't live in my neighborhood...we could have had a lot of fun together. Did you skate on the street with skates that took a key to tighten them? lol Sorry...I could just talk all night. I'm rambling...Happy Birthday, you talented, sweet 60 year old!

Ramona said...

Dear Carletta, my very very best wishes to you on your "0" Birthday. I hope you had a magical day. xxx

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope I enter my 60th year with as much enthusiasm as you have. I'm only a hop, skip and a jump away!

Tanya Breese said...

ohhh happy birthday and i really enjoyed the pictures of 11 year old you!

Nicki said...

I am only slightly behind you in years and so vividly remember the h.u.g.e TV, 3 channels, and requisite of abandoning the comfort of your sitting arrangement in order to surf those 3 channels. American Bandstand anyone? My sister's birthday is Feb. 13th and honestly, I remember her in a similar dress and hair style.

Happy Birthday!

Karen Lakis said...

WOW!! Happy Birthday! 60 is quite a milestone, and one to be celebrated! I used to love Barbie and Ken, also - and still have mine somewhere. I agree with you that it's sad how young kids today outgrow these simple pleasures. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

A Colorful World said...

Awesome look back! It reminds me so much of my own early days...I am 61 as of Jan 2! Happy Birthday (late) to go with the Happy Birthday (early) I sent! :-) Hope it was a good one.

Anonymous said...

LOVE these pics! Happy Happy 60th Birthday & Valentine's Day! What a cool birthday... my g'ma's bday is the 16th, but she's in her 80's =0
Do you still catch a glimpse of that girl from time to time? I still see mine ever now & then... =)
Hope you have a great one, Carletta

Anonymous said...

ps my dad put the lattice on the bottom section of the fence to keep the sheep on the right side, instead of in the yard. =)

NatureFootstep said...

hope your birthday was great.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

O,h happy belated birthday Carletta. You were such a cute kid (And you are still a kid to some of us as a matter of fact!)...... the celebration sounds wonderful...your hubby is a sweetheart himself!

DawnTreader said...

Belated birthday greetings - I hope you kept celebrating through the weekend!

Pat said...

Love the photos! Happy Belated birthday!

JunieRose2005 said...

I certainly enjoyed your old pictures! :)

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday/Valentine's Day... but hope your special day was a happy one!

as you might have noticed, I'm not blogging as much these days (for various reasons, mainly the new grandchild who I have 3-4 days each week)

I AM on Facebook more than the blogs! It's easier and quicker...but NOT as much fun!...Anyway, if you ever join FB I hope you will look me up there. (June Kellum)

Junie

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Carletta! The older I get the more 60 and even 70 sound "young." :))

Debbie said...

Happy Belated Birthday hon! Mine was the 15th :) but yay...I'm 2 years younger..but look older hahahaha

You were a cutie pie :)

xoxoxox

Kathy said...

Sorry for the late birthday wishes! I loved reading your post and seeing the pictures.