Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where Eagles Soar

The week before Christmas Hubs and I were traveling to our daughter's home in Virginia. When Hubs is driving he doesn't see much along the side of the road. He concentrates on the road ahead. Sometimes I try to point out something I've seen. Usually for me it's the many hawks I see over one particular portion of our trip. On this particular day Hubs began saying 'bird, birds.' I turned quickly and looked alongside the road thinking it was a hawk I was looking for. Not seeing anything I glanced over his shoulder and was in awe. I didn't say anything at first then I blurted out 'eagles.' We were on a portion of four lane with a metal barrier in the median. Hubs said get out your camera. I asked him if he was turning around and he said yes. I dared to think they would still be there. Yet, they were.
Ever since Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman gave us The Bucket List I have toyed with my own idea of a list. One thing for certain was that I wanted to see an eagle in the wild. I guess I can cross that off my list.
Hubs and I were able to find a place to turn off and get fairly close to these beauties but my 250mm lens could only pull them in so far. Still, I was in awe at being given this opportunity to view them if only for a little while. On our return trip home they weren't there.
I suppose my new entry on my bucket list would be a longer lenses and another chance to "capture" them up close; but for the moment the experience and these images are more than enough.
(click on the photos for larger images)
Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday.

28 comments:

Brian King said...

Congratulations on your eagle sighting, Carletta! It's even better since you were able to get photos of the event.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Fabulous, Carletta... Glad your hubby spotted them. Glad he turned around also. GREAT pictures. I would love to see some eagles in person also...

Hugs,
Betsy

Robin said...

Oh my gosh, there are TWO of them! Wow! I've only ever seen an eagle in the wild once, and I was in a kayak far from my camera at the time. Lucky you!

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography on etsy and Society6 and bring home something beautiful today!

Jientje said...

You captured him well!! Awesome!

Unknown said...

Splendid sighting!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Nancy said...

I think you did wonderfully, Carletta. How sweet of your hubby to turn around so you could get your shot! :)

theconstantwalker said...

Your eagles are fantastic to see Carletta..
Maybe one day I will get the chance to see one..
Many thanks for sharing your images.

mick said...

Great photos even if distant!

eileeninmd said...

Hi Carletta, congrats on your eagle sighting. They are amazing birds to see in the wild. Your photos look good even with the eagles being further away. Thanks for sharing, have a great evening.

judi/Gmj said...

Now you can call hubs, Eagle Eye. ;)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

YAY! Wonderful sighting. And how great of your hubs to turn around. (Mine would too -- pretty much anything for a good photo except right smack in the middle of the freeway -- you and I are lucky!)

George said...

I think these pictures are fantastic, especially like the second one. I'm sure you'll find a suitable new entry for your bucket list. Seeing and getting pictures of eagles in the wild is still one of the entries on my list.

holdingmoments said...

What a great sight to see.

diane b said...

How exciting and so lucky you could turn back and pull over. The eagle and its nest is a great shot.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

How wonderful for you, sweet encounter! Wonder what kind of nest they were perched by...guess no one was at home;)

Betty Manousos said...

what a privilege to see this!

awesome shots, carletta!

have a great day.
betty

Debbie said...

I agree! What a privilege!! You did a wonderful job...

Amazing sight :)

joo said...

Wow, wonderful photos!

Springman said...

Awesome...And they were nest building too! Yes indeed, a longer lens is part of my wish list, you are not alone. Sounds like Hubs got a little pumped up too, eagles will do that to you!
Cheers!

JunieRose2005 said...

Exciting event!! I know_because it's happened for us a few times ! :)

You got some good shots of them!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Carletta, I stopped in for a visit from Elaine's Article View blog. When I read that you had been for a visit to VA for the holidays, I wondered where. We currently live on the VAEastern shore in a very small town after moving from NJ. We've been fortunate enough to see eagles at Chincoteague NWR but never as lucky as you to get a photo!

Mimi said...

They're smaller than I expected, which probably shows how much I know about eagles!
Beautiful photos, so glad your hubby turned around and you photographed them.

Connie Smiley said...

What an experience! That's very cool that they stuck around for you, and though we'd all like larger lenses, what you captured here is beautiful!

Rose said...

I thrill at seeing other things, but nothing is quite like seeing an eagle.

Neal said...

I love those Carletta. You got some great shots.....as usual. :)

Carole M. said...

the nest, the eagle sitting alongside; what a moment!

Arija said...

Good for you! What a wonderful thrill.

Scrappy Grams said...

I am awed by these birds! What a sighting and great capture of them.