Monday, October 24, 2011

Cass Scenic Railroad - Cass, West Virginia

A couple of weekends ago Hubby and I spent the weekend in Cass, West Virginia. My brother has been taking my nephew to Cass for twenty-one years. My nephew has been fascinated with trains since he wasn't much more than a toddler. That being so my brother built a small cabin in the town of Cass where Hubby and I stayed.
The evening we got to Cass the last train had pulled out and the station shut down for the night. I took the photo above from the parking lot knowing that the next day the number of visitors and cars would distract from this quaint little station.Behind that now closed door were our tickets waiting for the next day's eleven mile almost five hour trip to Bald Knob at an elevation of 4700 feet. These two cars along the tracks were open for viewing. Their bright colors were enhanced by the fall foliage that surrounded the town.After a good night's rest this is the scene that greeted us the next day. The sun was bright and cheery and the colors glorious!We were taking the noon train but this is a shot of the steam escaping from the train that left before us that would only be going halfway. This is the number 11. We will pass it later on our way up the mountain.This train was our 'pusher' train. It would take this train as well as ours to get us up the grade of the mountain. You'll notice that this one was losing a little water because it was filled so full. Later, we would need to stop and let the train take on more water to complete our trip up the mountain. Those glowing red and yellow reflections are the cars in the photos above.This photo is a little out of focus and I apologize but remember the train is moving, I'm trying to stand and shoot from the opposite side of the car I'm in and everyone else is trying to get a shot as well. This is a train on the way back to the station. In order for us to pass there is a switchback and this train waits on a seperate nearby track.This is the device used to switch the track the train is on to enable it to go to another track.Here we go! Remember those engines you see are pushing the train uphill. My car is almost in the middle of the train. As I leaned out I'm pointing my camera to the cars behind me. A quick glance and you might think the engine is in front and going downhill.This is one of the vistas along the way. The photo doesn't do the scene justice but I have to say it was magnificent!! Be sure to click on this one to really enjoy the Autumn Splendor!
At this point we weren't even halfway up the mountain so I have more photos and more scenes.
I hope you'll come back Thursday for part two.

24 comments:

Vrinda said...

it's after very long time i'm blogging and posting snaps in blogs. This is the first blog i'm checking. It actually made me realize what i missed so many days....

amazing snaps... very nicely captured...I've checked your previous posts as well all the snaps are beautiful...

- vrinda

diane b said...

Oooooh, We love train trips like this. Wow it must be steep and what a beautiful vista.

Reena said...

What a great view over the valley! How fun it must have been.

Jeannelle said...

Great photos and info!

Karen said...

A terrific series of shots! Olsd trains are fascinating.

Neal said...

Wow Carletta...that is a nice assortment of pictures. The leaves look beautiful.

Kim, USA said...

I really love to ride a train. Your photos are awesome thanks for sharing.

Yellow

Robin said...

What a wonderful way to enjoy the fall foliage, just beautiful.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Lola said...

Love all that scenery & foliage!

Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Here’s mine!

Liz said...

These are beautiful. I love the last one.

My entries:
Moms...Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

Maria @ LSS said...

Lovely shots!

cassandrasminicorner said...

So beautiful!!!

Visiting from MYM! Hope you can visit me too if you have not done yet:)

http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2011/10/mellow-yellow-monday-144-%E2%80%93-coconut-shell-coin-wallet.html

Ralph said...

Ah, you'd never get a view that beautiful on the flat terrain - the train allows a fabulous sight of the valley below.

Trains are so cool, they immense size, huffing and puffing and creaky tracks are a visceral treat that allow us to feel as well as see the size up close. A jet at an airport is not as impressive, as we are a distance from the plane and cannot have the visceral presence of might as standing next to this steamy and huge locomotive.

A wonderful sight, a fun day - and foliage that is truly Almost Heaven...

George said...

Betsy and I visited Cass last month and also took the noon train to Bald Knob. We got many pictures similar to the ones you've published, and your post brought many wonderful memories. We also had a beautiful day when we were there, but we had none of the gorgeous color you saw.

eileeninmd said...

Carletta, it looks like a beautiful place for a train ride. The trees and colors are gorgeous. MY family seems to love the trains too. Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing.

Rose said...

Lorelei loves trains...I wonder if it will last.

LOVE that last shot...such color!

lina@women's perspectives said...

Wow...what a wonderful train ride!

Felisol said...

Trains in autumn scenery, oh nostalgic joy.
I must be moss old. I used to ride by steam train visiting my grandparents when I was a little girl.
They used to be tar brown or brownish red.

Such comfort to see that some of them still exist.
Are there enough visitors to keep the route open all year?
I hope so. I also hope that more toddlers this way may take an interest in living history.
Thanks for sharing.

J.Rylie.C said...

Beautiful view!

JunieRose2005 said...

Very interesting and colorful post!!

Your fall scenes are awesome!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a neat story. And a wonderful way to view Fall colors. Look forward t omore.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Isn't our State heavenly? Most of the trees here are in beautiful colors already. Beautiful shots Carletta.

Míriam Luiza said...

Post informativo com lindas fotos! É muito bom ler seu blog.

Stephany said...

Do you know how much I love trains? Gorgeous series of photos, Carletta, particularly the last one! Our trees finally changed color last night. Wouldn't you know that I left my camera at home when I went out this afternoon? I'll never do that again!