Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yard Art From My Childhood


Memories of Dad

Dear Readers,

Yard Art is indeed a photo meme and you may not have time to sit and read so feel free to look, comment and be on your way. I just have a little story to tell because this Yard Art is special to me. :)
This little vignette has been in the corner of the yard at my childhood home since I was a young girl. It may not be elegant or pretty; but each object is near and dear to our family.
The large bell once hung on my Dad's family farm way up in one of our West Virginia 'hollers' as most folks around here would call it. I guess in the old days it was probably rung to gather everybody to come eat. I don't remember hearing it ring but imagine it did many times. I do remember walking up that hollow to go visit and have dinner. There was no road in to the property. We walked a path along a small stream. All the way up you could smell the wood burning in the stove or fireplace. To this day the right wood burning takes me right back to those long walks with my family. Eventually we could see the barn on the left and the old corn crib on the right and we'd step across the stream about then and the yard widened out in front of the house.

Sometime during my college years the old wooden house burnt down. Everything was gone except that old bell that still hung on a tall post. My Mom told me that she told my Dad ' you ought to have it, I don't suppose you could get it?' He told her he supposed he could. She doesn't remember how he got it off the big old post but he did and brought it home. He made the metal ladder that it's attached to and concreted the whole structure into the ground. It stood until this past spring and after a severe winter and much rust at the base it fell over. My Stepfather gladly repaired it and put it back up.

When we were young my Dad didn't let us play with it but when I had kids Grandpa sure never stopped them from ringing it!! It is one of my daughter's favorite memories.
If you look closely you can see a cow bell and a little sheep bell hanging there as well. My Dad found those in the old barn and brought them home too.
The old plastic bottles and kettles in the background are another story for another post. They too are some of Dad's treasures.

It will have been fourteen years this past week that my Dad left us; but each time I go over home to see my Mom my Dad is still there too.
For more Yard Art join Mary here.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching post my friend. It felt line I was in the stroll right there with you. It sure is pretty and it's so wonderful to have memories if that. May your dad always rest in peace. :)

Leedra said...

Memories...you brought some out for me. We lived in one of those 'new' sub-divisions when I was growing up. Mama grew up on a milk farm, so naturally she had a cow bell sitting around. Mama rang the cow bell to tell us to come home, either to eat or just because she wanted us home. It could be heard all over the sub-division and we were the only ones that were called home that way so everybody knew we were headed home then.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Carletta, We called them 'hollers' too in Southwest Virginia --where I grew up.... I also have certain smells that remind me of home and/or of my parents... Isn't it great to have these memories?

That old bell is special... I'm glad you can still 'feel' your Daddy when you go home... That was nice of your stepfather to hang the old bell again...

Great post...
Hugs,
Betsy

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh, Carletta,

I so, enjoyed reading your story and seeing your bell.

You may remember, we have a big bell in our back yard here, but without the family history to go along with it.


(not sure I'll have a Yard Art this time)

Junie

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Carletta -- I love this story so much. Your memories and love of your dad and family shine through. I can imagine your little grand-daughters ringing the bell when they get a little older and someday learning about their great-grandfather's life through the experience.

(I had to laugh that he wouldn't let you play with it, but loved letting his grandkids ring it. So typical of grandpas!).

concretenprimroses said...

I love the bell. And the special story was very nice to read.
Kathy

Suburban Girl said...

I love the bell too. So nice to know it has history.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Your story helped to appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of this bell even more! It represents a wonderful chapter in your life!

maryt/theteach said...

What a poignant story, Carletta! Thanks for combining Yard Art on Thursdays and your lovely story
! :)

Diann said...

Love the bell and the memories that go with it!

Beth said...

Very touching vignette. It is good to honor and to remember. I do like the bell, too. Pretty.

Pat said...

I love this story. It warmed my heart. Yard art with history. Great!

Lesa said...

Aww-- what a lovely and poignant memory. I'm still processing the recent loss of my father but I am so thankful so many wonderful memories. Someday I hope to share them on my blogs....

Anonymous said...

I also have an attachment to bells.
I have a few of the cow bells actually worn on cows on my uncle's farm.

Rose said...

This post is one the best ever! If I could bottle woodsmoke, I would bottle gallons and gallons of it. It is one of my all time favorite smells.

Our milk cow had a cow bell...I don't know what became of it.