Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Midweek Blues: Swallowtail In The Oak

The Original Image

A Close Crop of the Original

My goal in photography for the summer has been to do what I could to take better images of butterflies. I've been somewhat successful with these results that I've posted on my photoblog here and here.

Last Saturday afternoon I was looking out my sunroom window and saw this butterfly high up in my oak tree that stands right outside the window. I knew by the time I picked up my camera and went outside it would have fluttered away. So, camera in hand with telephoto lens and shooting through the window the first shot is the result. Admittedly, this is not the kind of shot I had been hoping for and a quality closeup will just have to wait; but at least I can add the elusive swallowtail to my photo lifelist.

If you have your computer speakers on the song you hear is from an album by Bob Lind from February 1966. It was a song I grew up with and I always think of it when I watch butterflies. Isn't it funny how some songs stay with us? I went to look up the lyrics and only had to read the first few words when the whole song came back to me and I was singing away!

For more Midweek Blues join Rebecca here.

18 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

The butterfly is so pretty! I love seeing their wings fully open like this! Both shot versions are beautiful!

rapunzel said...

Beautiful butterfly! Love the blue.

Jim said...

This is a very pretty butterfly. Your cropped picture shows it nicely. (It seems never to fail for me to have a smudge from the window show up.)

Your Lind song is pretty.
Happy MW Blues. :)
..

Anonymous said...

I love butterflies. I remember the song but had forgotten many of the lyrics.

Unknown said...

He's beautiful! I think you did great, through the window and all. :)

Carol said...

I like both shots, Carletta. What a good capture. Its a beautiful butterfly. That song came right back to me as soon as your blog opened....

Meri said...

I don't think I've ever seen a swallowtail in person. They're beautiful! And the song is perfect for the image.

Dianne said...

the blue of his lower body really stands out
so pretty

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful shots of the butterfly, Carletta... You are doing a great job getting them this summer... I have a harder time getting butterfly pictures than I do birds!!!! ha ha

Keep those butterfly pictures coming!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Suburban Girl said...

A pretty one... I always say fire a shot off right away and then try to get the shot you want. That way you won't miss it completely!

EG CameraGirl said...

Great goal, Carletta, and you are doing well! I wish I saw more butterflies here. There seem to be fewer and fewer every year and I am worried.

Pat said...

This is a great shot - even through the window!

Thanks for the memory with that song! Reminds me of a guy who used to sing the whole song to me!

George said...

I think this is a wonderful picture of the butterfly, especially since you had to shoot through a window.

jan m said...

Carletta, what a nice shot of the butterfly!
That song took me back. I do remember hearing it on the radio in my early teens.

Rose said...

This is a really nice shot for shooting through a window! Don't you just love butterflies? I have never seen one that wasn't beautiful.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a lovely summer goal! Late at night in our tiny traveling home, sound off, one of us sleeping! so I'll come back and listen to that song another time -- you have me intrigued.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a lovely summer goal! Late at night in our tiny traveling home, sound off, one of us sleeping! so I'll come back and listen to that song another time -- you have me intrigued.

Raven said...

These are gorgeous shots! Gorgeous butterfly too.