Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Old Mill In Sepia

Going through some old memory cards Hubs found this photo we took of an old mill almost five years ago. This was long before my foray into this photography passion I've possessed for the last couple of years. Enlarge the photo and you can see what I mean. The quality is way below my current expectations of myself but the sepia saves an otherwise just point and shoot attempt. It's the memories behind the shot that make it as beautiful as any well executed photo shoot.

This was taken on a trip with Hubs to the Smokey Mountains. It was one of the first trips there without children. We were alone for the first time in years and we had a great time. Getting ready to head home we decided to search for all the old mills we could find on our way out. We had some literature naming a few. As I recall we found about seven or eight that day. This was probably the best. We were on what could only be described as a one lane road and the mill was across the stream. I so wished it could be mine. At the moment I can't recall exactly where it was. I'm sure we were still in Tennessee and not far from the Smokies. There seemed to be some work going on that day so I feel sure it was being refurbished and is still standing today.
For more Sepia Scenes join Mary here.

19 comments:

dot said...

Wow, I love this! I thought about if it was in b&w but I think it's perfect for sepia.

Rose said...

I am with Dot--absolutely love this. And I enlarged and wonder what you think is wrong...I would not change a thing.

Ralph said...

I wouldn't worry about the quality - here you have captured the essence of the distant past, the lumber mill. The weathered wood and still paddlewheel put me in this time and place. a wonderful capture!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

LOved sharing your memory. And if it were anyone else who photographed it, they wouldn't worry about the quality.

Annie Jeffries said...

You stinker, Carlotta. Go check out my comment at Mary's site. LOL

Nice mill. I imagine there are a few of those back there that have been preserved (I hope).

EG CameraGirl said...

This is a very cool shot, Carletta! It looks very old. :)

Kris said...

I love this. Sooo beautiful. And what a nice memory. You made me want to go have a little adventure now. I wish I could see a mill like thatfor real sometime. Awesome. And I don't see anything wrong with the quality. Thank you for sharing.

Patti said...

There is nothing wrong with those photo Carletta!
You're too hard on yourself.

I like this a lot.

Happy sepia scenes ~

kayerj said...

I think you're being too hard on yourself. It looks great. But you have improved a lot since then. You have quite an artistic eye.

MedaM said...

Nice memories and wonderful photo of so beautiful old mill.

Artlover said...

...fits very well to the subject. Great photo too.

Amanda said...

This is perfect in Sepia! It looks like something from a bygone era!

Raven said...

Lovely photo and lovely memory. Clearly your eye has always been good. The sepia is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I recognized this right off, having been to The Old Mill, many times, when living in TN.

It's beautifully done in sepia...so nostalgic.

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot...it is in Pigeon Forge, TN, in the Smokies.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Carletta,

I think this shot is gorgeous and most perfect for the sepia tone! I like the way you framed it with photo corners too. Lovely!

Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving your comment. So nice to visit your sweet place here.

Kindly, ldh

Unknown said...

Fab shot, the sepia tone is perfectly combined with your subject.

Anonymous said...

Postcard quality shot! Looks like The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge to me too. I went there several times when I lived in Gatlinburg. Granted, it's been many years so my mind could be playing tricks on me. :)

Leedra said...

Memory lane photos are always the best.