Friday, June 26, 2009

Take Another Look

(click to enlarge images)

Certainly when we think of nature we think of all the beautiful flora and fauna we can see around us. We look for the vibrant color, the distinctive shape, the intricate pattern. And yet sometimes we overlook the small incidental treasures that are right there under our nose.
Do you look at the seed head of a dandelion and think that it's just a weed? Why not take a minute and look at how each little seed is attached to the head and how together they form a little globular masterpiece of form.

I like the yellow of this tumble mustard and left it in the flowerbed where my bird feeders are. The birds seem to like the cover it afforded them. This bed is under a huge old oak so not much grows there.Now that the soil isn't moist anymore it is dying off. I could have pulled it out; but I enjoyed the little pop of color.



How many times have you looked for a four leaf clover straining your eyes to find that little good luck charm while pulling the bloom and throwing it aside to get it out of your way.



Cleaning out my flower bed the other day I reached down and almost pulled this weed up out of the ground. I have no idea what it is but I really looked at it. The intricate pattern of the leaves astounded me and I asked myself why did I want to throw it away. It's all alone in the corner of the bed; but it's green.



Looking over my wisteria vine I found some of last season's pods that had broken apart but refused to let go. They were no longer soft and green and velvety but brown and twisted and almost shouting how artsy they looked against the lush green of the vine.





One evening while sitting at the dining table I glanced at the bay window and saw this moth on the outside of the glass. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about it but my camera was sitting there and I took a macro shot. Imagine my surprise when I downloaded the image to see all the different parts of this little white winged creature. I hope the picture will enlarge for you. My flash caught his eye and made it bright orange.
Michelle in her Nature Notes meme has challenged us to 'look at something you might never had paid attention to.' I hope my post today will inspire you to do just that. Observe some of those things you don't ordinarily pay attention to and take another look. You might be surprised at what you see.


For more Nature Notes
click the badge..............>

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cool and such great pictures. I love the fact that when you enlarge th you see exactly what you describe. You are goimg to think I'm nuts but just this morning while walking nalu I said to myself how much more attention I'm paying to flowers plants just my surroundings. Then you post this. Awesome I think. Aloha

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful post. One of the reasons I love photography is because you DO see things you might have missed otherwise. ;-)

Leora said...

Lovely, how you have found beauty in the weeds. I love the clover flower.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I agree. I don't pull dandelions. They give a little splash of color to an all green world.
I love all the different textures. Can you imagine a field without all those wildflowers? Small and weedy they may be, but they give interest to the countryside.

Pat said...

I really enjoyed the pictures. Everything looks fascinating when you look at it up close. I'm fascinated by milkweed pods. Those things are amazing when they burst open!

Gattina said...

Beautiful pictures. I am in Italy right now and fortunately have a good internet connection !

quilly said...

Carletta, you are so right! Three years ago when I first started snapping pictures, I just captured scenes, but in the evolution of me, I began to notice things through the view screen that I'd not noticed as part of the whole. Life through my camera lens is a whole different perspective!

I posted a dandelion head a couple of days ago. They truly are fascinating.

Nessa said...

Great shot of the moth. Very pretty. I think weeds are some of the prettiest flowers. i love dandelions.

Craver Vii said...

I love your extraordinary photos of ordinary things.

"Do you look at the seed head of a dandelion and think that it's just a weed?"

No, not just a weed. It is my beloved lawn's archnemesis with a quiver full of arrows, threatening total conquest. My lawn is helpless, and I defend her ruthlessly.

Leedra said...

This post is a good example or how our macro lens make us take life a a little slower than before we got our macro lens. Really enjoyed this post. Photos are great.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Carletta: Neat Meme and some wonderful captures.

Dr.John said...

You were gone for a bit but I see you have been back for a time.
Great pictures.
I loved the moth picture best of all.

Rose said...

The one under the clover that is all green is ragweed...I love dandelion heads. Love the yellow mustard, and when you really look at a clover blossom it is just amazing. I don't think I had ever really looked at one till I took a picture sometime last year. Or the year before and when I enlarged it I was amazed at what I saw.

Reader Wil said...

You are absolutely right to look for small so called insignificant plants. They are often so perfect. Your photos proof how true this is.

George said...

What a great post. Thanks for pointing out the beauty we often overlook because it doesn't fit our expectations.

Raven said...

Wonderful words an pictures both. So many small wonders around us... it really is good to stop and enjoy how magnificent they are.

Rambling Woods said...

This is what I had hoped for Nature Notes..to pay attention to things once ignored. The dandelion enlarged is amazing. Bee keepers know that there bees won't starve in the early spring as long as there are dandelions. So what is really a weed? I am late in getting around, but thank you for your post Carletta.

Carver said...

I absolutely loved this post. You are so right about the hidden treasure if we bother to look at what is everywhere. Great nature notes!

Janet, said...

Beautiful pictures! Well, I learned something from one of your commenters. I now know what ragweed looks like, and we have lots of it around here, too!