Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Trip Continues...

As we continue our journey to the Civil War Site we travel a road first proposed by George Washington in the 1830's. He proposed a road that would connect Virginia to the Ohio River. That spot became Parkersburg, West Virginia.



What's under those West Virginia Mountains? A lot of it is sheer rock. This was a rock quarry I almost missed because there was part of a mountain in front of it along the road. The photos really do not capture the sheer height of the rock face.
Of course I had to stop to take a photo of yet another Mail Pouch barn. It literally sat beside the two lane road we were traveling on. The brown and yellow sign you see (click to enlarge) says "fishing allowed - walk in only." There was no parking lot and no place to really get off the road so where you were supposed to park and walk in and carry everything to the creek to fish I don't know. The creek is way down at the end of that field behind the barn. I suppose it could have meant you could only walk into the creek to fish as opposed to putting in a boat. The sign really didn't make the point very clear.

I know a lot of people do not blog on weekends so for my faithful readers who have followed my travels I will post the Civil War site and the Indian Burial Mound the first of the week. Tomorrow I will be participating in Camera-Critters Sunday so I hope you will stop by to see what backyard visitors I had this week.

Till then - Happy Trails!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I have been too busy to comment on every post in the series, I have paused to read them. I have always loved standing where history took place. You just took one of my dream trips.

Tomorrow I am going to Pearl Harbor. OC (and the Community Concert Band) has a gig ON the USS Missouri. I am hoping they'll let us tour and take photos.

Raven said...

I'm so enjoying your trip and traveling along with you. I really love the old barn photos. I love those barns and barns in general. Talk about arm chair travel, this is a great way to vacation.

Rose said...

I loved this post! Love that Mail Pouch barn...

Robert said...

Great images today once again. But it's your music that hit me today. My sister was a huge John Denver fan in the 70's. As my parents did not play us much music, my early music experiences were what my sister played. And she played John Denver a lot. I remember driving to work hearing the news that he died in a plane crash. I quickly called my sister whom had not heard yet. It was like a part of our childhood died along with him. Thank you for posting this. You made me smile.

Tom said...

I loved the music as well as the pictures and the reading today Carletta.. I look forward to more from this trip come Monday.. and I'll stop by to see your critter post to.. all the best now.
Tom

Debbie said...

The Mail Pouch Barn was my favorite! I just sent it to David and I know he'll like it...deals with fishing LOL!

Beautiful series and I'm lovin this trip!

Debbie said...

Oops! Forgot! You have been tagged by me for 7 random things about you! Don't feel bad if you don't do it LOL!

George Townboy said...

Awesome trip! I'm enjoying it immensely.

juliana said...

impressive rock formations!
and the barn looks lovely in the middle of all the greenery...

dot said...

Fantastic when enlarged! I love the barn too. Never seen one of those before. A real treasure!

Shelly said...

I'm always intrigued by the layers of rock, great picture....great adventure! Thanks for taking us along for the ride :)

Firefly Nights said...

Love the old Mail Pouch barns. I think there must be a requirement for them not to have parking nearby just to make it difficult for the photographers. At least it seems that way.

maryt/theteach said...

All your West Virginia shots are so very nice! What a great trip! :)

Dr.John said...

I am enjoying the tour.

Kerri Farley said...

Love that barn!!!

Janice Thomson said...

Gosh I love those rock cliffs - have always enjoyed rock formations since a child. Beautiful photos Carletta.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Mail Pouch. My dad's favorite chewing tobacco. It was that which killed him. Honest. Cancer from swallowing too much spittal. I guess.

I was here. I did look at your picture(s) and I did read what you wrote about them. I could say how great you are and how beautiful your work is but alas I would soon run out of things to say on the next blog I visited, so I just left this to prove I stopped and said a few words; and I am not a lurker or a visitor, but I am a commentator.

Anonymous said...

Love the barn. Makes me wonder what those old barns have seen in their time here.