Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sky Watch: Amish Farms and a Sunset


I've been posting different scenes this week from my visit to the Amish Countryside of Sugarcreek, Ohio. These are some of the farms I saw along the way. This was one of the newer farms in the area. I love the old wagon to the right of the silo.
Windmills dotted the countryside.
We were there at corn harvesting time.
This one is my favorite. I love the peeling red paint, the white silo, the puffy white clouds,the old wire fence and the horse crazing lazily in the pasture. It has all the right elements for a peaceful scene.
We spent the entire day in Sugarcreek. As we headed home the sun was setting beautifully over the countryside.

Be sure to click the Sky Watch at the top of my post to visit others posting their views of the sky from around the world.

68 comments:

  1. All are fabulous...but I think my fav would be the one with the windmill! Looks like a wonderful area to visit! I like places like this....not a lot of hustle and bustle. I'm definitely NOT into hustle and bustle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and it looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this. it is beautiful

    My SWF post this week : in HERE or HERE. I hope you have time to visit. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last one the most;-)

    Mine is, HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. We were in northern Virginia a couple of weeks ago and we saw a lot of farms like this.
    I thought they we all very beautiful and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Amish sure keep their farms looking great, don't they? Your photos are wonderful.
    Happy Sky Watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series of shots and that last one is a beauty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful beautiful. And the last one is truly breathtaking. Congrats.

    Marit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each picture is full of grace. It is good for the soul to take in such sceans.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carletta I was looking forward seeing your SW this week. They are lovely photos from the country. I love the cornfield already harvested, every thing looks neat and tidy. The red barns are beautiful too. The whole series has something comforting with the blue sky bedded in some white fluffy cushions, it is a little like, at 7AM life is still alright!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful shots Carletta. What a pretty part of the country you are showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sunset is absolutely wonderful...and I do love the other scenes as well...specially the fodder shocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, love the farms and cart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am fascinated by the Amish and their culture too. Yours is a lovely picture essay of what I imagine is their life. Lovely contribution to SWF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful skies... something beautiful about farms and countryside like that. And the sunset is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely set of photos, Carletta!

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi again

    Yeah, both Santilli and me hade almost the same pictures. What a coinsidence! I was on the left side of the plane and he on the right ;-D

    Marit

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful collection of photos for Sky Watch Friday, thanks for sharing with us all. It is the best fun when we get guided tours as part of Sky Watch.

    Thanks for sharing and your kind comments on my post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Said it before but this a world away form anything I will see here. Fascinating and such a beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your fave is my fave. Have you tried in sepia? Great tour you captured in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Carletta. I like all of them. I didn't get around to sky watch this week.

    BTW, go here and upload a picture and see what you can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooooh, I love that last one Carletta!! What a beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good photos, I guess I take these things for granted sometimes since it is everyday life here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, serene and calming pictures. Makes me want to go visit and maybe stay awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi my Friend Carletta

    Wonderful photos but I love sunset!
    Sunset or sun rise are magic moments of our life!
    I feel so!!

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love farm pictures and these are so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aren't they just so clean and perfect! I love the light and dark effect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good evening Carletta! I'm guessing it's evening where you are. I really love these Amish country shots. The cornstacks are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful tour of the Amish Farms... a wonderful area. I am always pleased to see your photographs. =)
    ~Michele~
    Mountain Retreat- Canada

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, what beautiful countryside! Your favorite is my favorite, too. Love how those clouds hug the landscape! Happy SWF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Carletta, I pick the horse grazing picture as my favorite, followed by the windmill shot.
    I was wondering how long it took you to get out of state and thinking probably as long (an hour and a half) as it takes us to get to our Texas beach in Galveston. It takes about least three hours to get out of state from here, to Louisiana.

    Happy SkyWatch, I'm doing it again this week (Little Photo Place). Not nearly as pretty as your Ohio sky but I did find sky.
    :-)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a lot of admiration for the Amish. I'm pretty sure I could never live the way they do, but I can certainly see why they choose to. And these photos illustrate the point beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great photo's & amazing colors. The last one is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The color in the last photo is nice, but I love the farm pics.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Carletta: You made some absolutely wonderful captures at Sugarcreek. You made beautiful country scenes that are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, just beautiful..every one of them! My favorite is the one with the horse and barn.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I saw similar scenes growing up, but looking at these photos from HAwaii makes them seem far, far away and just a little bit foreign.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are close to Ohio! We got off the Interstate and followed your river for quite a few miles.

    Thank's for getting over to my blog. There wasn't a first post. Mine here was a heads up that I was WW'ing late.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  39. SkyWatching late, that is!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's good country ... and what not a better season to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous Amish photos and an excellent sunset. MB

    ReplyDelete
  42. beautiful shots, carletta!

    Mine's HERE! Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Like them all, great set of pics!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sugarcreek looks like a nice place to visit. I like the red peeling barn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Absolutely perfect, in all aspects, Carletta!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great shots, view and country.

    ReplyDelete
  47. These are fabulous sky watch. love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  48. It's a beautiful trip in the countryside, Carletta. I like very much this sequence of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are all great photos Carletta, i love that last photo, and its interesting to see how they did the corn husks

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree, Carletta, Santa BETTER bring a new camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Beautiful sunset, such golden colors. I love that old peeling red barn too. There is something very special about weathered wood, isn't there...

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you for your visit and comments.
    Yes the colours are as they were in the sky.
    This is the first year that I have been fully aware of the vast range of colour in the skies.
    Either my head was in the ground previously, or they are increasing in colour.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  53. we don't have anything like this amish farm here. great photos, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wonderful buildings and countryside. Love the last photo. Happy Skywatch!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Lovely farming photos Carletta. I particularly like the stooks in the fiel. I've always been partial to harvest scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Carletta,


    I love all your country scenes!Nothing prettier than country things to me!!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi Carletta, great shots you've taken here. That is wonderful countryside, and gorgeous photogaphs. Thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  58. All very lovely! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. These are great shots. I agree that the barn shot is super and love the sunset as well...and all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I like how clean and neat everything is in these farms. Beautiful photos and closing with the sunset is superb.

    ReplyDelete